History

In the years following the Second World War, a need became apparent for a second Roman Catholic parish in Waterloo, to serve the city’s rapidly-growing west side. To meet this need, Our Lady of Lourdes Parish was established by Bishop Joseph Ryan in 1952, and Reverend Donald J. Curtis was named its first pastor on January 7, 1953. At the time, the parish boundaries between Our Lady of Lourdes and St. Louis (Waterloo’s first Catholic parish) ran along Belmont, Norman, Park, William, and Caroline Streets and thence along the railway line. Mass was initially held at Our Lady of Lourdes School, which had been built in 1948. The cornerstone for a new church, located next to the school, was laid on October 16, 1955 by Reverend (later Monsignor) R. M. Haller. On March 25, 1956, during the centennial year of Hamilton Diocese, Bishop Ryan formally dedicated Our Lady of Lourdes Church. A rectory was built in the following year. In 1996 the parish offices and rectory were enlarged significantly, replacing the grotto. In 2004 an addition was made to the front entrance and the church and parish hall were renovated. In 2014 a new organ was installed.

Pastors

  • Donald Curtis 1953–1969
  • F. J. Swain 1969–1977
  • Angus Smith 1977–1982
  • Phil Sherratt 1982–1991
  • Gerald Hayes 1991–1992
  • Edward Sheridan 1992–2014
  • Ted Hughes 2014–